This is the online version of our daily newsletter, The Morning Win. Subscribe to get irreverent and incisive sports stories, delivered to your mailbox every morning.
You ever get the feeling that something or someone is about to explode and become super big and it’s going to be all that you hear about for years to come?
You ever just know things are about to change in a monster way and there’s nothing you can do to stop it, and better yet – you’re looking forward to just enjoying all of it?
Well, I’m getting those feelings this fine morning and it’s all about one man who is now a win away from going to his second straight Super Bowl.
I’m talking, of course, about Joe Freakin Burrow.
The Bengals QB is reaching legend status and he hasn’t even won a Super Bowl yet, which is kind of crazy. But this kid has something about him – and has had it for quite some time – that has mega stardom written all over him.
Let’s look at some recent reasons examples of that greatness:
– Did you see the sick spinning pass that he threw before dominating the Bills on Sunday? That throw tried to tell us the future.
– Did you see how quick he was to make fun of fans and their refunds after beating the Bills and forcing a rematch in the AFC title game with Kansas City? his post-game interview was perfect.
– Did you see his Instagram post moments after that in which he took another shot at the NFL? A star QB unafraid to say what’s on his mind and poke the bear that is the NFL? Be still, my heart!
– Did you see the awesome Seinfeld sweatpants that he wore after beating the Bills? I didn’t know those even existed and now they’re all I want for my birthday.
– Have you seen his record in road playoff games? It’s 3-0, including a win in Kansas City last year that sent the Bengals to Super Bowl (where he suffered his only playoff loss).
– Have you seen the Joe Burrow thirst trend on TikTok? It is raging!
A huge star is being born right in front of our eyes, folks, and I think it’s great. Stars are good for business. Stars are a good time. Give us all the stars in all the sports.
The Bengals could very well go back to the Super Bowl this year. They are the slight favorite against the Chiefs. But even if they don’t, I have to think that Joe Burrow fever is going to be a thing that’s around for quite some time.
And that’s going to be fun.
Quick hits: Cowboys crush Dak Prescott… Impressive mic’d up Mahomes video… Sad mic’d up Tom Brady video… And more.
– NFL fans were rightfully stunned to see the Cowboys’ own Twitter feed crushing Dak Prescott after Sunday’s loss.
-This mic’d-up NFL films video shows how gutsy a banged up Patrick Mahomes was in Saturday’s win over the Jaguars.
– This new mic’d-up video of Tom Brady is pretty sad.
– NFL fans had so many jokes about Ezekiel Elliott after the final bad play for the Cowboys.