BAY CITY, MI – The upcoming Memorial Day weekend is shaping up to be lovely weather-wise, with warmer temperatures and abundant sunshine. But whether you’re out on the lake or starting up your barbeque, take some time to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
There are numerous events and ceremonies scheduled across Bay County for Memorial Day, which traditionally falls on the last Monday of May.
Bay County usually has a robust schedule of ceremonies being held all across the area. These ceremonies are where family, loved ones, and community members can gather together to pay their respects to and honor the fallen.
While most of the ceremonies are held at cemeteries across the county, there are a few that are held in more publically visible areas. At 9:15 a.m., a larger ceremony will be held in front of the Bay County Building at 515 Center Avenue in Bay City. Hampton Township Hall will host a ceremony at 10 a.m. and another will follow at 10:45 a.m. at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial by Veterans Bridge in Bay City.
Another ceremony will be held at 1 p.m. in Veterans Memorial Park followed by an often popular ceremony at the USS Edson Naval Shop Museum at 2 p.m.
The following is a list of 2023 Memorial Day cemetery services that are scheduled for Monday, May 30, as provided by Bay County. Included in the list are details such as which cemetery, plot location if applicable, and units attending:
- 8:30 a.m., Oak Ridge – Spanish Plot, Bay City; all units.
- 8:45 a.m., Oak Ridge – American Legion Plot, Bay City; all units.
- 9:15 a.m., Bay County Building, Bay City; MCL, AMVETS, VVA.
- 9:30 a.m., Fremont Cemetery, Monitor Township; VFW 6950.
- 9:45 a.m., St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Bay City; PLAV 162, DAV.
- 9:50 a.m., Lutheran Home Cemetery, Auburn; VFW 6950.
- 10 a.m., Hampton Township Hall, Essexville; MCL, AMVETS.
- 10:10 a.m., Auburn Veterans Memorial, Auburn; VFW 6950.
- 10:15 a.m., Green Ridge Cemetery, Bay City; PLAV 162, DAV.
- 10:25 a.m., St. Anthony’s, Williams Township, VFW 6950.
- 10:30 a.m., Pine Ridge Cemetery, Bay City; PLAV 162, DAV
- 10:45 a.m., Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Bay City; MOPH, AL 18, VVA
- 10:45 a.m., Elm Lawn, Bay City; MCL, AMVETS
- 10:50 a.m. Zion Lutheran, Beaver Township, MOPH, AL 18, VVA
- 11 a.m. St. Patrick’s Cemetery, Bay City; PLAV 162, DAV
- 11 a.m., Jewish Cemetery, Bay City MCL, AMVETS
- 11:10 a.m., St. Valentine Cemetery, Kawkawlin; VFW 6950
- 11:30 a.m., St. Anne’s, Linwood; VFW 6950
- 11:55 a.m., Calvary Cemetery, Kawkawlin; VFW 6950
- 12:00 p.m., Floral Gardens Cemetery, Portsmouth Township; all except VFW 6950
- 12:05 p.m., Heavenly Rest Cemetery, Kawkawlin; VFW 6950
- 1:00 p.m., Veterans Memorial Park, Bay City, all except VFW 6950
- 2:00 p.m., USS Edson, Bangor Township; Honor Guard
Click here to search for more Memorial Day events across the state.
Want more Bay City- and Saginaw-area news? Bookmark the local Bay City and Saginaw news page or sign up for the free “[email protected]″ daily newsletter for Bay City and Saginaw.
Read more from MLive
‘Helping Veterans Help Themselves’, Bay City learning center and workshop opening its doors
Memorial Day travel woes: US-10 ramp in Bay County closed
Saginaw-area veterans encouraged to participate in 2023 Memorial Day Parade
Celebrate Memorial Day with these 2023 events in Michigan
How will road construction impact Memorial Day travel in Michigan?